Behold Retreats facilitates expertly guided plant medicine journeys for healing, inner
peace, and spiritual awakening.
Let’s be clear, working with Ayahuasca is not all sunshine and lollipops. This article is intended to show both sides of the coin. It’s meant to make you pause, think, and evaluate.
If you are considering an Ayahuasca or plant medicine retreat, take your time to do the research, find expert practitioners, and have guidance to help you prepare, and to support you with your preparation and integration post-retreat.
In this article, we share both 40 reasons to go on an Ayahuasca retreat, followed by 40 reasons not to go.
Let’s get into it.
1. For ayahuasca healing your brain through neurogenesis
2. To overcome past trauma, accept, and forgive
3 To overcome mental health disorders
4. To remove unhelpful patterns and behaviors
5. To reconnect and align mind, body, and soul
6. To elevate your consciousness
7. To improve your relationships
8. To find your sense of priorities, purpose and belonging
9. To increase your empathy, patience, and courage
10. To elevate your mood, cognition, and quiet the mind
11. To feel like you have a new lease on life
12. To make profound and sustained improvements to quality of everyday life
13. To take seriously our stewardship of our planet
14. To recognize the wisdom of the ancient plant medicine traditions and shamans
15. To educate yourself on the modern science of plant medicine
16. To invest in and believe in yourself and your growth
17. To prepare meaningfully and understand yourself better
18. To ensure it is safe for you to work with ayahuasca tea
19. To prepare your family and friends for changes in you
20. To eat well in preparation for your journey
21. To travel with purpose to a beautiful location
22. To take a week+ for yourself, to love yourself as a retreat participant in a holistic sanctuary
23. To detoxify your body with the plant dieta and in an ayahuasca ceremony
24. To explore your inner universe and subconscious mind
25. To revel in incredible visuals during the the ayahuasca journey
26. To expand your range of experience with the medicinal plant
27. To have your truths revealed to you by the ayahuasca brew
28. To understand what is keeping you from your potential
29. To heal, and let go of that which does not serve you
30. To connect with and deepen your spiritual awakening
31. To experience ayahuasca shamanism and have healing work done by a shaman
32. To be humbled and reduce the ego
33. To place your trust in the universe
34. To understand your nature
35. To understand our nature
36. To understand the interconnectivity of all things
37. To understand creation and the miracles of life
38. To understand consciousness and the universe
39. To transcend the limitations of the linear
40. To transcend the limitations of the purely rational / analytic
No doubt we've missed another 101 reasons to go on an Ayahuasca retreat. There are many incredible places to participate in a retreat. Most people from the USA and Canada choose to go to Central or South America: to the Sacred Valley outside of Cusco or Iquitos in Peru, Costa Rica, or Tulum, have a look through our gallery for a sneak peak.
If you're motivated to break through and accelerate your personal growth, look around our website to see what we are doing differently to help people to maximize the benefits of working with plant medicine.
1. You don't have the time to commit to yourself
2. You are going because friends recommended it
3. You are going because friends are going
4. You are going just for the experience
5. You don't really know much about the subject
6. You don't feel the timing is quite right
7. You're conflicted about the whole thing
8. You’re too scared or apprehensive
9. You are on prescription medications
10. You have been diagnosed with psychosis, schizophrenia, or bipolar
11. You have heart conditions or other serious physical limitations
12. You don’t have great confidence about the place or people
13. There’s been no medical screening
14. The topic is being treated casually
15. You are not ready to surrender and let go
16. You don’t want to change
17. You’re unwilling to give up your current dogma
18. You are not ready to see your true self
19. You want to stay completely in control
20. You don’t want to be vulnerable
21. You don’t want to see sometimes disturbing memories and visions
22. You don’t want to purge physically and emotionally
23. You don’t want to feel challenging emotions
24. You don’t want to face traumatic experiences from the past
25. You don’t want to be confronted by your own limitations
26. You don’t want to witness others experiences
27. You may drop many of your friendships
28. You may be unwilling to fulfil expectations from those around you
29. You may leave your job, and lead a radically different life
30. You may need to let go of that which you currently hold dear
31. You may become “one of those people”
32. You may get odd looks as you tell of your retreat experience
33. You don’t want to evolve, and are 100% happy with yourself
34. You already understand everything
35. You feel completely aligned, body, mind, heart, and soul
36. You are in perfect physical, emotional, and spiritual health
37. You know your true purpose and calling, and are joyously working on it
38. You have zero low-level emotions (e.g. guilt, shame, fear, apathy, anger, desire, pride)
39. All of your relationships are harmonious, and you never lose your patience
40. You believe the universe is exactly as it should be
The decision to work with "mama ayahuasca medicine" a big one. Our recommendations to help you find a good ayahuasca experience are as follows
- Take the time to find a good healer / ayahuasca shaman
- Understand what healing modalities are available. Typically you can expect something similar to a yoga retreat or other spiritual retreat.
- Understand the different options that exist in the amazon rainforest / broader amazon basin
- Find an experience that will allow you to have 3 ayahuasca ceremonies
We highly recommend you do your own research to make a fully-informed decision.
To learn more about the ayahuasca vine (banisteriopsis caapi vine), the ayahuasca diet, and more about amazonian ayahuasca tourism see our in-depth article on ayahuasca here.
If you’d like to understand more, apply here for a free consultation with one of our plant medicine experts.
A big Aloha to you and your growth!
Keep up to date with the latest research and transformational experiences available through Behold. Sign up now.